Copeland Islands

Left Dol Cove early this morning, although not as early as we had planned. The windlass is giving us problems hoisting the anchor. In the end, we ran the rode back to the winch on the mast and hauled it up until “some” chain was on deck before transferring the load to the windlass gypsy. Even then, the breaker popped twice. We’ll be working on this procedure in the coming days.

However, the rest of the trip to Lund went quickly, arriving just after noon. Docking in Lund also went well – I’m really getting the hang of docking her, although conditions were nearly optimal so it wasn’t much of a challenge, truth be told. Only the breeze pushing us off the dock prevented it from being completely optimal.

Sam and Kay went to the bakery and store to get cinnamon rolls, some fresh meat, and fruit pie. However, it seems the store doesn’t have what we wanted, as they returned with cinnamon buns, Nanaimo bars (as a thank you to Quijote for previously hosting us), and hot dogs. Maybe some fresh vegetables too – I lost track.

Meanwhile, I tended to boat chores such as enlarging the holes I previously had drilled into them the day before.

We pulled out of Lund and was clear of the entrance as quickly as possible since we only get one hour of grace period before we’d have to pay for 1/2 a day of moorage. Once out into the channel, we shut down the engine and drifted while attending to the urgent business of unconsumed cinnamon buns, with side notes of apple slices. A true sugar shock to the system, but one we happily endured. It was nice, drifting with the waves, sun on my back, sugary snack on my plate.

Just as we were finishing, Quijote was coming up from the south, for they had left later than we. Sam saw them first. I didn’t think it was them, but after a bit, Kay was also convinced it was them, so we checked the AIS. Never bet against the ladies, for it will burn you a majority of the time. It was Quijote.

We joined in trail and approximately 15 minute later arrived at the intended anchorage. Quijote went in first and dropped anchor. Meanwhile, Opus hung back to let some kayakers pass between us. They were politely waiting for me to pass, but I wanted to wait for Quijote to set up, so it was polite to let them go by.

After looking the place over, I didn’t like what I saw. The bottom was very, very steel, going from 75 feet to 25 feet in a heartbeat which would have made it very difficult to get enough scope on the anchor. The mouth was wide and opened into a busy channel. We were likely to be hit with the wakes of passing boats throughout the night. There was also a low island or big rock, cliffs all around. No place for a stern tie in a congested (due to the rock island) spot.

I decided this was a big “nope” for Opus. Meanwhile Sam was talking to Rod on the radio. He also decided it was better to haul up the anchor and try elsewhere. Off we went to the next anchorage north.

This one is more protected, but it was smaller and there were already three boats there. However, we inserted ourselves in between two others, dropped anchor and backed up to start stern thing. Sam, volunteered to be the one to row in the stern line. Unfortunately for her, a huge tangle ensued and it took us forever to detangle it while she was standing ashore. Eventually we got it done, but the procedure still needs some work, to be certain.

This afternoon Kay and Sam went ashore while I did boat chores, mainly line repairs. I would also have sealed the decks, but the skies were clouding up and I was concerned about it raining, so that particular job is off for another day.

Dinner tonight is more of Sam’s delicious dinners. Guess I’m on dish duty.

I realize I’ve not written much about the scenery, the feelings, the impressions. Mostly that is because I’m not really yet into the mindset for that yet. I’m still worried about what will go wrong next. For instance, there’s oil in the bilge and I don’t yet know where that is coming from.

Engine might be using more oil than it should (is that where the oil in the bilge is coming from?) and I’m not sure about fuel consumption either. I’m glad for the extra 25 gallons on deck just in case.

Still, there is the excitement and challenge in undertaking a voyage of this size. Even attempting it is significant. I am glad, though, for Quijote’s presence.

Mmmm dinner smells good, time to go,

Leave a Reply